The Pedestrian Alert System (PAS) by Claitec is a solution for the prevention of workplace accidents between forklift trucks and pedestrians. This forklift proximity warning system can also be used to activate lights and/or buzzers at intersections and blind corners or to automatically lock/unlock gates when a forklift is approaching. Warehouse pedestrian safety is of the utmost importance, and automated systems go a long way in ensuring the safety of everyone on the floor.
Forklift proximity sensors provide pedestrians with greater situational awareness by alerting them to the presence of forklifts operating within the area, before they may have a chance to witness them with their own eyes. This contributes to good forklift and pedestrian safety practice by minimising the risk of collisions. A pedestrian warning system is crucial for high traffic environments. Not only do these systems reduce the risk of accidents, but they also improve workplace productivity by allowing employees and forklift operators to focus on the task at hand.
The PAS will warn the forklift driver of nearby pedestrians. Pedestrians must wear electronic tags that are detected by a control unit on the forklift. If a pedestrian comes within the specified range of between 1 and 6.5 metres, the driver will be warned of the risk by a flashing warning light, piezo alarm or by reducing speed automatically (if the forklift model permits). These warnings help to improve forklift pedestrian safety and allow pedestrians and forklifts to coexist within the same space.
PAS can also be used to trigger warning lights and alarms at intersections when pedestrians or forklifts are in the area. The visual and auditory warnings make forklift pedestrian safety systems a valuable investment for hazardous work environments. Not all employees will have a thorough understanding of safety protocols, and with high staff turnover, there is also a potential for inexperience. PAS can compensate for momentary lapses in judgement and lack of experience by clearly highlighting potential hazards, before they may be observed. This technology is particularly useful for application in blind corners, intersections and loading zones, three of the most common places for accidents to occur. Safety is paramount – improve your safety standards and reduce the risk of injury at work by installing a pedestrian warning system today.
The overwhelming majority of forklift incidents involve pedestrians. Workplace injury claims can be very costly, but PAS in conjunction with clearly defined safety practices can dramatically reduce the risk of injury. It is not always easy to keep tabs on visitors, and not everyone will be familiar with industrial workspaces. Pedestrian safety around forklifts should be reinforced at three levels – management, forklift operators and pedestrians. Each group should have a clear and thorough understanding of the best practice, with the PAS system serving as an additional aid. By maintaining good pedestrian forklift safety practices, communication and situational awareness will be enhanced. This enables employees to work safely, efficiently and effectively.
The PAS from Claitec is easy to install, and settings can be customised to suit your needs. It is perfect for warehouses, manufacturing facilities, distribution hubs and other industrial spaces. Make an investment in your employees’ safety and reduce your risk of forklift-to-pedestrian accidents with PAS.
Areas of Application
- Ideal for Forklift trucks of up to 4-tonne load capacity
(larger vehicles may be suitable with the inclusion of Long Range antennas)
- Ideal speed in areas up to 10 km/h
- Poor visibility areas such as junctions where pedestrians and forklifts may intersect or where storage corridors exist
- Loading and unloading zones dedicated to external drivers (people who are not familiar with the facilities and are at high risk of accidents within the space they share with the forklifts)
- Workspaces shared by machines and pedestrians such as production lines where the space for the movement of personnel and forklifts is very limited.
How It Works
Pedestrians carry Tags. When these are detected by the system installed on the forklifts, it alerts the driver by activating an installed light and/or buzzer. A rechargeable tag will also sound, vibrate and light up. Both the driver and the pedestrian are now aware of the presence of each other and for them to take the necessary precautions. Adjustable detection ranges are 0.5m – 6.5 for front and rear and 0.5m – 4m on the sides.
Main Operating Characteristics
- Detection of pedestrians in the area of operation of forklifts
- Front and Rear detection is adjustable from 0.5 to 7.5 metres in ideal conditions with standard antennas and 1.0 to 10m with long range antennas
- Side detection of up to 4m with standard antennas and 5.5m with long range antennas
- Option to speed limit forklift on detection (if forklift model permits)
- Rechargeable Pedestrian Tag (T-10R) extends detection range by approx. 1 metre
- For vehicles above 4T load capacity, a repeater may be required to extend the signal
- System components are all rugged and long-lasting
Blind Spot System
Collision Avoidance System
Visual Alert System
Gate Access System