Many businesses around us have moving assets including trucks, vans, construction machinery, and more. These businesses need to ensure that their assets are being used safely, efficiently, and securely. This is the reason why they need a good fleet management system. With the help of these systems, fleet managers can improve productivity, safety, compliance, and security while reducing costs.
It can be extremely challenging to manage a large pool of vehicles because the process involves several external influencers such as market unpredictability, legislative requirements, increasing costs, etc. Efficient fleet management software allows coordinating all fleet management activities without any hassles.
Fleet Management Challenges
Efficient management of an entire fleet requires managing schedules, costs, and drivers to ensure the smooth running of the delivery process. Meeting customer expectations is critical to customer retention and maintaining the reputation of the business. Some of the most important fleet management tasks include
- Managing a business asset inventory, including new vehicles purchased and vehicle lifecycle monitoring.
- Installation of vehicle tracking systems capable of providing real-time vehicle location.
- Development and enforcement of business policies on driver behaviour and asset use.
- Fleet operating cost monitoring, creating monthly reports, and suggesting strategies for reduction of fleet operating cost.
- Implementing systems for vehicle maintenance, emission management, and preventative maintenance.
- Improving fuel efficiency and ensuring more effective utilisation of company assets.
- Collection of fleet data and metrics using a telematics system to help upper management make informed decisions related to driver management, automation, cost savings, etc.
Why Invest In a Fleet Management Solution?
More and more business owners are now interested in investing in fleet management solutions because of their many benefits as summarised below.
- One of the most useful benefits of fleet management solutions is real-time monitoring of different things. By using them, one can easily get an updated report on parameters such as speed and acceleration, location of trucks and drivers, and much more. These details are critical to ensuring that the shipment is on track. The ability to find out where the vehicles are and ETAs makes the job easier for the dispatchers while improving customer experience.
- Efficient route planning is another important benefit of fleet management systems. These tools allow fleet managers to share the route plans with every person involved in the logistics, including drivers. The system is also capable of showing important details such as road conditions, load, fleet size, etc. The drivers can get familiar with the route beforehand, which minimises the probability of lost or delayed shipments.
- Making on-time shipments depends heavily on driver management. With a fleet management solution, it becomes effortless to track drivers and find out their driving habits, their usual speed, and the routes they prefer. Based on this, it is possible to provide them with better guidelines, help them choose the best route, and help them improve.
- Fleet management systems also help track the maintenance requirements and schedules for the fleet. Just by entering some simple details, it is possible to ensure timely and proper maintenance.
If you are looking to manage your fleet in the best possible manner, please get in touch with the experts at ShockWatch to discuss your needs.